Sunday, 18 October 2009


Thursday, 24 September 2009

Photo: Leo and Ted who have nothing to do with this entry.

Monday morning I took Lulu the kitten's faeces samples to Vets4Pets for analysis. Apparently it will take a week. If it's parvo, she dies. End of story. I hope not, not just for the obvious reason that I don't want any young cat to die. Also she seems to have been perking up in the last few days to the stage that I've been leaving the cage open and letting her just wander around the room, albeit with newspaper covering much of it. I made a mistake when I left it open overnight as I ended up on my hands and knees with a bucket of soapy water, a scrubbing brush and several towels. But the diarrhea continues unabated albeit perhaps a little less frequent and a little less runny.

Carol wanted me to take a new arrival for the vets for checking -Roker Park not V4P with whom she's on the outs- so I made a teatime appointment that day. Then a cat was handed in at the shop with what might have been wounds on its back. I got it booked in with the other one.

Now, people tell us lies when they want to get rid of their cats.

According to her daughter, Cat No.1, a very elderly thin female, was supposedly found in the coal-house of her equally elderly mother who is suffering from Alzheimers. Carol and I suspect that the cat belongs to the woman's mother and she just doesn't want to go through the bother of paying for veterinary treatment or having it put to sleep -which would have been the kindest option. The vet checked the cat over and declared it to be elderly, virtually toothless, and with matted fur (which was obvious) but otherwise in good condition. So this poor old thing is going to spend the rest of its life in a cage surrounded by other cats because no-one is going to take on a cat this old.

Cat No.2, a large neutered pure black male, apparently keeps going back to its old home from its new one a mile away where it's supposed to live with its dog-breeder owners and it has wounds which look suspiciously like bites, or a localised flea allergy. It's pretty obvious its owners don't give a crap about him. The vet checked out the wounds, he's otherwise sound, and gave him a couple of injections with the instructions to bathe his wounds with salt and water every day.

In fact the cat has turned out to have gotten a lucky break. We originally contacted the RSPCA about this neglected cat and they agreed to pay the first £60 of any veterinary treatment -a standard procedure of their in such circumstances. We then got a call back from to say that they had a place at their rescue a few miles away and would take him. He'll stand a good chance of getting a home there and will be well looked after.

Yesterday morning I called round to pick up the semi-feral cat (which looks like Cat No.2 but unlike him isn't placid) which is 'owned' by an elderly couple and take him to the PDSA for an operation. While I was at their house they gave me a nearly new leather jacket which the husband couldn't wear because he'd lost so much weight as a result of diet and health problems. It's a little comfortable across the stomach (I also need to go on a diet) but otherwise fine. Thank you.

No comments: