Sunday 27 October 2013

THE OFFICIAL OPENING OF ANIMAL KRACKERS CAT RE-HOMING CENTRE, SATURDAY 26TH OCTOBER 2013.

Admit it, you're expecting lots of photos, aren't you?

Well I did take my camera but ended up not taking a single picture. Why? you ask. Because I was too busy to even think about it.

I spent all three hours I was there in the centre itself talking to people (of all ages from babies to people who were somewhat older than that) who turned up, showing off the cats, showing off the facilities, talking about cat care, taking the odd moment to give Edward (who'd been brought for display) and some kittens a few cuddles. I did get one re-homed which was to be picked up today along with one which had been selected on Friday and have several people who are thinking about it. As far as I'm concerned if it just caused one cat to get a good home it was all worth it.

But the event was much more than that.

A lot of our volunteers turned up to help and brought stuff to sell to raise money so many thanks to them. And that isn't just a formal thank you. We and I could not do what we do without all the help and support from so many selfless people who believe in what we are doing and are willing to work tirelessly behind the scenes and in our two shops so that we can help animals. It's impossible to adequately thank them enough for their unending tireless efforts.

We also had quite a large attendance from the public at large. It doesn't matter that they didn't take any cats (but for one kind person), it will make them think about cats and about animal welfare and they'll tell their friends and people they work with about the event and like a stone cast in a pond the ripples will spread and hopefully this event will bear some results further on down the line.

The centre was opened by Sunderland Football Club's official mascot*, a man in a black cat suit. (Sunderland are nicknamed the Black Cats. They also beat Newcastle United today 2-1 at the Stadium of Light, their first win in the Premiership this season and against our arch-rivals which is additionally satisfying. My apologies to any Newcastle fans reading this: you were unlucky.) Photos were taken by the Sunderland Echo, though if you buy the paper you can breathe a sigh of relief as I was in the centre and Susan couldn't see me to bring me out. Joe, an animal rescuer friend of ours, did take lots of pics and tried to email some to me but they couldn't get through. Maybe another time.

*I wanted our retired MP, Chris Mullin, a cat lover and all round great guy to do it.**
** Partly, I admit, because I just wanted to meet him.

I normally have an hour or so's nap on an afternoon but this was the second successive one I'd been busy -the day before with ferrying a van load of stuff to Ferry Farm- and it didn't half put out my body clock.

Still, it was all worth it. We're thinking of an open day next summer.

Oh, and the weather stayed fine. 

Bonus cat photos: Fifi and new friend Tiny, Tiny and Todd.



No comments: