Sunday 13 March 2011

FROM TARA

Tara sent me this poem. The author is apparently anonymous and therefore no copyright attaches to it. What Tara doesn't know about me is that:
1. I hate poems unless they happen to be by someone like Ted Hughes or TS Eliot.
2. I am not a sentimental person, even about animals. I love them dearly and I believe they deserve the same respect we accord each, the same consideration, and the right to a happy and healthy life but I'm not sentimental not in the mawkish sloppy slushy way.

But, damn it, this piece of sentimental slop actually did touch me because it does manage to say something about why I and my co-workers in Animal Krackers and all the other animal rescues do what we do.

The Reason   
I would've died that day if not for you. 
I would've given up on life if not for your kind eyes. 
I would've used my teeth in fear if not for your gentle hands. 
I would have left this life believing that all humans don't care 
Believing there is no such thing as fur that isn't matted skin that isn't flea bitten good food and enough of it beds to sleep on someone to love me to show me I deserve love just because I exist. 
Your kind eyes, your loving smile, your gentle hands 
Your big heart saved me 
You saved me from the terror of the pound, 
Soothing away the memories of my old life. 
You have taught me what it means to be loved. 
I have seen you do the same for other dogs cats and animals like me. 
I have heard you ask yourself in times of despair 
Why you do it 
When there is no more money, no more room, no more homes 
You open your heart a little bigger, stretch the money a little tighter 
Make just a little more room to save one more like me. 
I tell you with the gratitude and love that shines in my eyes 
In the best way I know how 
Reminding you why you go on trying. 
I am the reason The dogs and cats and animals before me are the reason 
As are the ones who come after. 
Our lives would've been wasted, our love never given 
We would die if not for you.

Excruciating sentimental rubbish. Please don't send me anything like that again, Tara. Now excuse me, I seem to have something in my eye...

No comments: